Friday, October 30, 2009

Mish Mash This and That

So as the title says this post is about anything that has popped into my head and anything that I need to vent about, and of course update on little one :)

 First and foremost.... Truman and I went to the doctors today.  Everything checked out great.  They weighed me, and I have not gained anything since last month! And the month before I had only gained one pound since the previous visit.  I was way excited! I thought that I was going to at least have gained 5-10 pounds, being as since the previous two weeks, none of my elastic waist skirts from pre pregnancy are fitting a bit, sigh ok, really tight.  Not to mention I woke up at week 16 and found that I had grown 4 inches around my girth in one night! Ok, so not completely true, but that is how I have been feeling, especially when pre prego clothes dont fit from one week to the next, and maternity clothes are starting to fit even better.  On the upside, :D, the doc told me to gain a pound in this upcoming month.  We shall see how I do.  I am eating better, and excersing regularly.  Ok more lies....I AM eating better, but I still splurge a little here and there, but I am doing that part right...and the excersing part, well I try to get in walks when I remember, and when I have the energy at night before the sun goes down.  I just HATE HATE walking in the sun or hot weather.  I get too overheated and then I get grumpy and uncomfy for the rest of the night.  I have settled to going back and forth in my house cleaning and doing things for my excersise.  But, now that it has cooled considereably-today is a rainy day whoo hoo!, and I think we shall have a good winter...I will be able to get out and walk more during the day when its nice and cold-my fave!  So I have to be doing something right if everything is checking out great and I havent gained weight, and my pee test came back great (no sugar or protein in the urine).  We also got to hear the baby's heart beat again...oh boy, that is always amazing to hear.  And it goes by so fast that I just am intently listening to it and waiting for the doc to find that little heart beat and then we listen for a few minutes and I am excited that once again my irrational fear that I squished the baby by semi sleeping on my tummy last night, or I hardboiled my baby by being too hot....that these are put to rest by hearing that little thump thump thump.  Truman tells me everything is going to be fine everytime he sees me thinking and he knows I am thinking about the baby and if I hurt it in any way.  He is the greatest husband ever!  Also, at week 16 I felt the baby move.  It was surreal and it felt weird.  I havent again, but I know that it was the baby.  It was a different feeling and I just knew.  Now I am just waiting for baby to kick so Truman can feel it too.  I think it will be more real to him then, and of course at the birth.  He knows we are having a baby..hehe, but I think for hubbies, it different.  They dont feel what we feel, and I think sometimes they feel a little left out.  I try to include him in everything that the baby does, or how I am feeling and I think he gets tired of it sometimes, but I think it makes him happy that he is the 2nd person after me that knows what I am feeling. 
 
   So its getting closer to the time that I need to start organizing my birth plan, and make it known to my doctor and the hospital.  I have a general birth plan with notes and such, but I need to plan it out and put it in more detailed writing and then print it out for all of them.  As I have gone through my pregnancy, I have gotten a lot...A LOT of advice...solicited and unsolicited.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  Nothing at all.  Except.  EXCEPT when it is told in a "I know more than you" or "You cant do it that way because its too hard, and I know you" or "Thats not the correct way of doing things, this is the normal way."  This is what enfuriates me to the core.  Since when is there a singular way of giving birth?  Grant it, women have been giving birth from the time of Adam and Eve.  And it has changed with cultures.  The idea is there-give birth to a healthy baby, well try to, but how one does it is completly unique and individual. 
    My particular birth plan is like this: All natural, or as natural as the hospital will allow.  I do not want an IV, but will have to settle for the IV plug.  No pain meds, and NONE offered to me AT ALL.   I want to be able to get in any position that I want that will be comfortable to labor and birth in.  I want to be able to move when I want and wherever I want.  I do not want fetal monitoring, if they have to do it, I want it limited and timed.--there is no real evidence that fetal monitoring actually helps in the birth process.  It hurts more than helps and it leads to more C-sections than V-births.  And if it says that the heartrate is going down and they get the baby out and its fine, 10-1 baby was fine before and the fetal monitoring messed up.  On another tangent here---- the labor and birth process in hospitals have not changed at all in the last 50 years!  The hospital staff KNOW that the EFM (fetal monitor machine) does not actually do anything at all to help.  Its just a way to control the environment.  Mostly for malpractice coverages.  It is sad that the most important thing that can happen in a hospital, besides surgeries and such, has not been changed at all.  I am sure they update or try to update the ways that they do heart surgery or even minor surgeries.  But the labor and birth process has stayed the same, even if most of the techniques used are out of date and do not do anything to aid in the delivery process of baby.
  If you want to read more about the birthing process and going natural, here are some books that I am reading and find very helpful:
  The Pregnancy Bible
  The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  Spiritual Midwifery
  Ina May Gaskin's Guide to A Better Birth
 I have also read What to Expect while expecting, but I find that I like the pregnancy bible much better because all the negative stuff on pregnancy (like what could go wrong, and medical stuff) is in the back in the blue section and you can choose to read that instead of having negative stuff written in your chapter and that being the only thing they have for that month.

*side note: I am publishing this on Oct 30th, but wrote this Oct 12th.

No comments: